In Nyakinyua village, Molo sub-county, Nakuru County, two children are currently hospitalized after eating chameleons cooked for them by their elder sibling.
Joyce Chemng’etich, the mother of the two children, aged four and two, said she returned home from work to find them unconscious.
She then sought information from her other 7-year-old son, who admitted to cooking two chameleons for his younger siblings.
She claimed that the boy cooked the reptiles to add to potatoes they had on hand in order to feed the entire family and avoid hunger caused by the ongoing drought.
Ms. Chemng’etich, a mother of nine, checked the sufuria and discovered two chameleon heads inside.
She and her neighbors then administered first aid to the children before transporting them to a nearby facility, from which they were referred to the Molo sub-county hospital.
The two children have been treated and are now recovering in a stable condition.