In Kawangware, more than 100 families have been displaced, and property of unknown value has been destroyed by fire.
The fire, which reportedly began around 1 p.m., began in one of the houses.
“I was in my house when I heard my neighbor shouting fire, and when I awoke, all I saw was a fast spreading fire in the house.” “I asked neighbors to assist me in salvaging items, but it was too late because everyone was fighting for his house,” said George, a resident.
George claims that the fire was started by an electrical fault.
Firefighters’ efforts to contain the rapidly spreading fires were futile because the majority of the houses are made of wood and corrugated ironsheets.
“We called the fire departments, and they arrived fairly quickly, but the blowing wind spread the fires so quickly that there was nothing to salvage,” he added.
Residents are now pleading with the national government, the county government, and other well-wishers to assist them in obtaining at least basic household items, such as mattresses, blankets, and food, as the Kinyanjui Primary School is serving as a temporary evacuation center.