Garissa: Man Sets Himself On Fire While Testing Out Methylated Spirit

fire isolated over black background PHOTO|COURTESY

A routine trip to the doctor’s almost turned fatal for a man from Garissa County after he “accidentally” set himself on fire at a local hospital on Friday.

According to a police report seen by Citizen Digital, the incident occurred when Mohamud Haret allegedly took one of his acquaintances to Mukona Hospital for a medical checkup.

As a nurse examined his friend, Haret – out of curiosity –  reportedly asked the medical practitioner whether the methylated spirit in the examination room was flammable or not.

Unsure of whether Haret was serious or just messing around, the nurse jokingly told him to test it out for himself, urging him to apply it on his body and ignite it.

“The victim followed the instructions and in the process got serious burns in the head, chest and hands,” the police report reads.

The man has since been transferred to Ghal Private Hospital for further treatment where he is currently in stable condition.

Officers based at the county’s Iftin Police Station have began investigations into the bizarre incident.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply