Wiper Party leader Kalonzo Musyoka has maintained that he will not rest until embattled former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko is on the ballot for the Mombasa governorship race.
Sonko’s registration certificate was last Monday revoked by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC), effectively barring him from running for the Mombasa governor seat in August.
He is seeking the county’s top seat with former Kisauni MP Ali Mbogo as his running mate.
Speaking Sunday in Likoni, Mombasa County, Musyoka urged the electoral body to clear the former governor to contest pending determination of his case by the Supreme Court and the East African Court of Justice.
“As the Wiper leader, I will not sleep until Sonko and Mbogo become governor and deputy governor of Mombasa. Chebukati and his team have no means, it’s not their business to block Sonko,” said Musyoka.
While drumming up support for Sonko, Kalonzo blamed Mombasa’s challenges on incompetent leaders and told supporters that the impeached former governor had the solutions to transform the county.
“Sonko clearly understands Mombasa’s problem; poverty. And the main culprits behind this poverty know themselves and therefore we need change,” he said.
On his part, Mbogo said they were awaiting the court ruling on Tuesday that may force IEBC to put them on the ballot.
According to the IEBC, a person may be disqualified from running for office if they are found guilty of abuse of office or have violated Chapter Six of the Kenyan law.
“In adherence to the supreme court judgement, you are therefore disqualified from holding any public office and thus disqualified from contesting and being elected as the Governor Mombasa County or any other county. Your candidature is invalidated and your certificate revoked,” Mombasa County Returning Officer Swalhah Ibrahim stated in last week’s letter to Sonko.
Meanwhile, Sonko, who is dissatisfied with the decision that effectively bars him from holding any political office, has petitioned the Supreme Court for a review of the decision.
On Monday, he claimed that the decision was delivered too quickly and that the court did not give him enough time to respond appropriately.
Sonko also filed a separate petition with the East African Court of Justice, claiming that the Supreme Court decision appeared pre-determined.
According to Sonko, his oral request that Chief Justice Koome recuse herself from the case was denied.
He claims that the CJ had already pronounced herself on the case in May while appearing for an interview with a local media house.